Easy Mushroom Flatbread

14:51




I found myself in the world of rediscovering vegetables. They stopped being a part of the fixed menu -this is what you do with your aubergines kind of thing. And amazing things started happening around our table, they were actually being given a chance by the whole family and transformed from the 'colourful stuff' that is usually pushed from one end of the plate to another to something somewhat interesting new to try. And we've got my body to thank for that as it has clearly started signalling to me that it can't stand salty stuff, additives and preservatives of any kind, and that store bought white bread is not on the top of the shopping list. But is also clearly saying what is welcome, so this is how the things are at the moment -  the meat is staying put (although I was never a big meat eater any way), my taste buds like fish a hell of a lot more, but beyond any expectations my craving  and consequently love for vegetables, of any colour and shape went through the roof, except for cucumbers and watermelons - it seems that we have a long term disagreement.  


 I don't know for sure, but I suspect that my posts might start leaning more towards my changing eating habits. It will be interesting to see how I will incorporate it into these, baking orientated pages. I won't  be giving up bread, pastry and dough in general any time soon, it's a lifelong lasting affection! And that is probably why I was drawn to this recipe so much - it combines my two current favourites dough and vegetables.


Easy Mushroom Flatbread

250 ml thick natural yoghurt
300 g flour
1/2 salt
few spoons of cold water (if needed)
300 g chestnut or button mushroom, finely sliced.
1 tbsp oil

Combine the yoghurt, flour and 1 tsp salt in a bowl, mix until combined, adding water if needed to bring dough together.Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth.Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside to rest for 15 minutes or you can refrigerate for up to 24 hours.Divide the dough into 10 pieces (each about 60g). Shape into balls and then roll out on baking paper until 15cm in diameter.Top each with sliced mushrooms and use your palm to press into the dough, then roll over the dough to secure.Layer the pieces of flatbread between sheets of baking paper.Preheat a frying pan on high until hot.Brush both sides of dough with oil and cook, mushroom side-down first for about 1 minute, or until bubbled up and charred, then turn and cook for a further minute. Serve warm sprinkled with salt and herbs.




Recipe adapted from here.

You Might Also Like

2 comments