Pumpkin Kernel Cake

14:34


No butter, no flour 


My friend's Mum from Zagreb (Croatia) recently shared this beautiful, rather unusual, but very simple cake recipe with me. It's much lighter in texture then your usual cake mix with a very distinctive taste that comes from the roasted pumpkin kernel flour and enriched with a jam of your choice of course - mine was green fig!



Pumpkin Kernel Cake

6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
150 g sugar
50 g fine breadcrumbs
200 g pumpkin kernels 
1 lemon
5-6 tablespoons of fig or apricot jam for filling
1 tablespoon of sliced almond and 2 tablespoons of pumpkin kernels for decoration




Oven roast pumpkin kernels for few minutes on 160 C, let them cool down, then finely ground them. 
Turn the oven up to 170 C - to 180 C!
Mix the eggs yolks with sugar until creamy, add the ground kernels, then breadcrumbs and combine into a smooth consistency.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and add them into the mixture few spoons at the time. At the end grate some lemon zest into it and add the lemon juice. Transfer into a greased 25 cm round cake tin and
bake for about 40 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges.
Let it cool completely, cut through the middle, spread the jam on one half, cover with the other one and dust with some icing sugar. Alternately spread some jam over the top and decorate with kernels, almond slices and dried fruit. The covered cake will keep well for couple of days.     



You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. This cake looks amazing and I love how you've photographed it. What are pumpkin kernels though? I don't think I know them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela! They are pumpkin seeds I would say, I'll post a picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something very new to me - pumpkin seeds in a cake; have to try it soon! Looks divine in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious! I use pumpkin seeds in bread and salads but never used them in a cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prvi put vidim kolac sa semenkama bundeve, znam da se koriste za ukrasavanje peciva, ali kolac je potpuna novina. Bas bih volela da isprobam ukus :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veoma originalno i aromaticno, zaista dobar nacin da se zameni brasno u kolacima i verujem da je ukus fantastican.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very new to me too. I admit, I was a bit sceptical, but curious before I made it:)

    ReplyDelete