Dutch Cream Truffles

17:02


and how they became little Forest Gumps


These truffles came about as a result of a Forest Gump moment experience Remember the one when one moment he is sitting on the deck in front of his house, and the next one he starts running and later explains the experience as doing something for no particular reason:

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe...you know  the rest .

Thankfully I didn't go that far, I reckon it would have been a bit awkward if I did :) but how would you call it when you are sitting on the sofa one moment and then the next one for no particular reason you just get up and start making Dutch truffles? 


While I was spooning them into a shape later on, they didn't look like Dutch Cream Truffles any more, they were cute little Forest Gumps.
With Dutch origin!





Dutch Cream Truffles
a.k.a Forest Gumps

makes 24
200 ml whipping cream (I used double cream)
100 caster sugar
1/2 vanilla pod, (or vanilla sugar, essence...)
150 g softened butter

For coating:
40 g cocoa powder
250 g dark chocolate

Put the cream an sugar in a small saucepan and add the vanilla pod. Heat the mixture slowly, stirring to dissolve the sugar and switch off the heat as soon as the sugar has dissolved. The cream should not boil. Leave to cool to room temperature and remove the vanilla pod if using.
Whisk the butter until smooth, pour the cream in a very slow thin stream, onto the butter until still whisking. It might look curdled at first, then grainy and lumpy, keep on whisking until it emulsifies and looks like a silky buttercream.

Line one large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
Use 2 small  dessert spoons to shape them. To do this, dip some of the mixture with one spoon and transfer in into the second. Use the first one to shape it into a domed oval, then slide it off onto the prepared baking sheet. Stick  a toothpick vertically into the centre of each oval all the way  down to the bottom and put the sheet in the freezer.

For coating: scatter half of the cocoa on another baking sheet, melt the dark chocolate  and leave to cool slightly, to about 30 C. Then, dip the frozen ovals quickly into it, swirling around to coat them well. Tat the toothpick on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate and place onto the cocoa. When the chocolate coating has hardened, twist each toothpick  to remove it and smooth the surface with a bit of melted chocolate if you wish.
Dust the truffles generously with rest of the cocoa powder. Chill well before packing into containers with a sheet  baking paper between the layers. Frozen they will keep for at least a month, Serve at cool room temperature for the best flavour.







Recipe adapted  from Sugar and Spice by Gaitri Pagrach - Chandra

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Mogu zamisliti kako se divno tope kad se gricnu, bas ti fino izgledaju pralinice.:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. woooooooow... quick and delicious!!! I didn't know them, but now I think I will go to the kitchen for no reason... nooo... I will go to make them :)

    ReplyDelete