My Wren Gingerbread Cake

18:53


a.k.a Swedish Mjuk Pepparkaka


Before I went away last week (Lyon report is coming) I managed to sort out the pictures from my favourite festive bake so far; the so simple and yet so delicate and moist Gingerbread Cake based on Swedish Christmas #Mjuk Pepparkaka (off course I made cookies as well, but I baked so many shapes and varieties that I wonder if I will be able to fit it in one post). 
At first I though that this cake would give me an excellent basic ground to build up a layered cake or do something different or more complicated and ultimately, more special, but as soon as the smell started coming out the oven, I started questioning that idea. When I bake something completely new, I tend to bake in smaller batches which gives me a chance to fix eventual mistakes, or like in this case, to taste it before deciding what to do next. 
 So we tried my little gingerbread muffins first and they were gone within minutes.  The verdict was obvious - this cake is very special, just the way it is! It just needed to be tszujed up for a photo opportunity. It's amazing what a bit of powdered sugar and old lace can do. Perfect! Now it not only tastes delicious, it looks it too:)




My Wren Gingerbread Cake
    Swedish Mjuk Pepparkaka

Makes 2 small (20 -22 cm cakes)
or 1 cake and 4 muffins

225 g light brown sugar
3 eggs at room temperature
225 g bread flour
12 g baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
10 g ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger 
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
200 g unsalted butter, melted
150 ml double cream room temperature
powdered sugar

Oven temperature 180C/350F
Lightly oil baking tins and sprinkle with flour to make a thin coat. 
Whip the brown sugar and eggs to a thick, foamy consistency .
Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the egg mixture.
Combine the melted butter and the double cream together and add to the batter slowly. Divide it between the tins (or muffin cases).
Bake for about 40 minutes or until the cakes springs back when pressed lightly. Leave them on a cake rack to cool down. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate. Put a template of your choice on the top before serving and generously sprinkle with powdered sugar.  



You Might Also Like

13 comments