Sourdough Cornbread

22:07

Sourdough surprises September 2014


For this months Sourdough surprise I chose to adapt my old cornbread recipe  which I combined with this recipe.


And as much as I like my moulded version, I thought that it would be a great opportunity to finally make a batch baked in corn husks - so I did!
It turns out that the recipe can be used equally successfully for a fancy party or for an informal picnic bake! 




Sourdough Cornbread

Makes 12 muffin size cornbreads

For part I

150g sourdough starter
240 ml milk
150 g cornmeal
120 g plain flour

Mix all ingredients to get a thick batter ( add more flour if necessary), cover and leave on room temperature for 12 to 24 hours. 

For part II

125 g natural Greek yoghurt 
3 eggs
120 ml oil
30 g plain flour
45 gr cornmeal
150g crumbled feta cheese
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of baking soda
1tsp salt

Beat the eggs, add the yoghurt and oil, combine with the sourdough mixture, then add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt.

Bake for 30 minutes in a 180C preheated oven.
If you are using husks, let them soak in a bowl of hot water for at least one hour prior to using. Brush them with oil, fold  into a cone shape and place into muffin tray holes.Pour the batter in husk cones and bake.




You Might Also Like

8 comments