Campari and Grapefruit Cream Puffs

10:24


for more traditional option make them with a custard filling and with coffee or chocolate icing instead


I wanted to make fruit filled profiteroles and blackberries were my first choice. They were perfect, great in taste and texture, beautiful in colour that I could use to make icing as well. 
I opened the fridge to take them out and all I could see was a bottle of Campari.  It was 10 o'clock in the morning and I was not about to have a drink that early, although the sun outside was encouraging me to mix a few drops with some grapefruit. 
And then I realised, it was staring at me, calling me to eat it not to drink it. Forget the blackberries, they are so last season. I am having my Campari and pink grapefruit baked.


As much as I liked them, I knew that the family would appreciate a more traditional (read sweeter) option, so I made a selection of Campari, coffee, chocolate- praline puffs and I couldn't resist - I made a few with blackberries. I know, they are so spoilt.


Campari and Grapefruit Cream Puffs

For the Choux Pastry:
Makes 24 puffs

65g flour
50g unsalted butter
75 ml milk
75 ml water
1tsp sugar
pinch of salt
2 large eggs

Preaheat the oven to 200C/392F/gas 6

Heat the butter in a saucepan with the milk and water, sugar and salt, until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and quickly add the flour. Beat the mixture very hard, until the dough forms a ball and no longer sticks to the sides of the pan. Leave to cool for few minutes. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and beat a small amount at the time into the pastry.
Put the pastry into a piping bag and pipe small circles leaving  small space in between.
Sprinkle some water into the bottom of the oven to create steam which will help the pastry to rise. Don't open the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180 after 10 minutes. When they are done, turn the heat off and leave them in the oven with the door ajar for few more minutes.      

Cut them in half and fill with whisked double cream, place freshly sliced pink grapefruit over it and place the other half on the top. For the icing mix 100g of icing sugar with 1 tsp of Campari. Add the liquid carefully as different types of icing sugar absorb more (or less) of it. Spoon the icing over your cream puffs and leave in refrigerator for 1 hour if you wish, I certainly like them cold.
                  
Using the same method, make different flavoured icing - brew couple of teaspoons of strong espresso coffee and mix quickly with icing sugar. Instead of icing the puffs you can top them some melted chocolate and sprinkle with hazelnut praline if you wish.

If you fancy old fashion custard cream puffs, here is the cream recipe that I have been making for years simply because it's still simply the best :

3 eggyolks
150g sugar
40g flour
0.5l milk
70g unsalted butter
1 bag vanilla sugar
Mix the egg yolks with sugar until pale and fluffy, add the flour, vanilla stir and pour over with boiling milk. Place over a pan of simmering water and cook until it thickness. Leave it to cool then beat the butter in. 


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Razmazices nas nacisto, i kako sada da se odlucim koji prvo da probam.:))) p.s. krecem od onih sa kafom, glazura i tackice taako mame!:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preslatke su! Jedne ljepše od drugih.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This recipe sounds AMAZING and I cannot wait to try it out. I have a question though. Could champagne be substituted instead of Campari?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete