Pão de Queijo

07:30


Daring Baker's Challenge for May 2014



 This month's Daring Bakers' Challenge took us on a trip to beautiful Brazil! Renata of Testado.Provado & Aprovado taught us how to make Pao De Queijo, tasty cheese buns that make the perfect snack or treat, and that will make your taste buds samba!


These are definitely gorgeous bready-chewy cousins of French gougères. I made a huge mistake by halving the recipe. I choose to do it on a day when both my daughter and husband were at home all day, and the smell from the oven made them come to the kitchen and literally wait for me to get them out. Five minutes later, they were gone as would have my second batch been if I didn't put my foot down - picture taking first,  finishing them off, second.


So it was, I transferred them to the plate while still steaming hot and managed to take a few shots. The fortunate facts are that they are best eaten fresh from the oven, that I still have half of the packet of tapioca flour and that they are really easy to make. If you can get your hands on tapioca, or sour cassava flour, please try them. I arranged a few chive flowers around them but my intention is to mix cheese and chive next time - and to quote Ina Garten - it's going to be so good!



Pão de Queijo
(makes 80 bite size balls)

500 g tapioca starch
250ml whole milk
40 gr butter
1 tsp salt
250 gr grated cheese  (Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or similar, I used  Comté )
1 to 3 large eggs
Preheat the oven to  400F/200C/gas 6

Heat milk, butter and salt until start boiling, pour over tapioca and mix it. You will not have enough liquid to form the dough, it will be lumpy, sort of dry mixture, keep breaking down the lumps, until it cools down to warm.
Beat the eggs lightly and start adding one at the time, until the dough comes together and becomes pliable, but still a bit sticky. 
Prepare the baking tins by greasing them and lining with parchment paper and start rolling the balls. I used watermelon round spoon dipped in water. Don't arrange them to close to each other, as they puff up quite a bit during baking.
Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Don't over-bake them as they will get hard and bitter.





You Might Also Like

7 comments