Fresh Strawberry Scones

13:30




Since I haven't had enough time to go through and edit my baking photos lately, they were stored on the SD card for the safe keeping, or at least I thought so. To my disbelief, the minute I plugged the multi card reader into the computer, all I was able to do was watch them disappear into thin air, one by one, all 200 of them. Even my husband didn't manage to recover them all, in fact the majority are gone. I must say, it took a few days to get over the fact that the record of almost a months worth of baking was gone in couple of minutes.
The hardest part was that my daughter's birthday cake was amongst them, and it's very unlikely that I will make the same cake again any time soon;  it will also take some time before I decide to go for chicken and chorizo pie again. Strawberry scones however, could be thrown together in no time, (from start to finish 40 minutes including picture taking and tasting of course) and  the obvious choice to start my attempt to recreate at least few "lost" bakes.    


When I made the first batch a few days ago, I used self-raising flour and milk and with one photo recovered to prove it (the bottom one), I thought I should take the silver lining approach to the situation and test the fresh strawberry - buttermilk version this time round. I have been using the same recipe for ages and it's always to make the cheese scones, by far our favourite, and never bothered to make the plain or sweet version. But something that I saw recently sparked the idea of incorporating the fresh fruit in the scone dough. Eureka! I wasn't' the only one-  of course that someone came up with the idea, way before I even found out the scones existed. never mind, I didn't discover the new way to bake scones, but I still liked the idea.


Fresh strawberry scones
makes 10 -12
230g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
55g butter diced
25g sugar
100g fresg chopped strawberries
125ml milk + 1 spoon for glazing

strawberry jam and whipped cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 220C/428 F/gas 7, and  grease a baking sheet
Mix the dry ingredients,then rub in the butter , until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.Stir in the strawberries and add the milk. Work the dough very lightly, turn it onto a floured surface and pat the dough  out with your hands until around 3 cm thick. Cut the 5 cm circles and place them on the baking sheet leaving a little space between them. Brush them with few drops of milk and bake for up to 10 minutes , or until well risen and golden brown.

The result- I like the texture and the taste, but they failed to rise enough, which made me wonder if my self raising flour let me down, or a pinch more of baking powder would do the trick? My gut feeling says a bit more of baking powder, not too much, maybe 1/4 to1/2 tsp.


Fresh strawberry buttermilk scones

Makes 18 to 20
500g plain flor
2tsp bicarbonate of soda
2tsp cream of tartar
2tsp sugar
50g diced unsalted butter
30g  chopped lard
300ml buttermilk

Follow the instruction from the above recipe. 

They have risen very well and had beautiful grainy texture, but ever so slightly soda after taste spoiled the perfect moment a bit ( if I am been picky), but nothing that a dollop of cream and spoonful of freshly made strawberry jam, couldn't fix and  I wouldn't mind making them again.   


Recipes adapted from Bread by Anne Sheasby and Nigela Lawson respectively.


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Uh, nocna mora svakog blogera je da mu se izbrisu fotkice i da nesto sto je stvarao mesecima bude izbrisano u trenu.... zao mi je sto se to dogodilo, obicno fotkice prebacim na komp kad napunim karticu ali nemam rezervne kopije, ne smem ni zamisliti da komp slucajno otkaze, brrrr... saosecam sa tobom.:(
    Ovi skonsi izgledaju vrlo primamljivo i drzim fige za obnovu arhive, verujem da ukucani nece imati nista protiv reprize.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dva dana mi je trebalo da shvatim da je otislo, a onda sam se setila da imam toliko njih koje iz nekog razloga nisam ni objavila, pa sta, idemo dalje:)))))) zao mi je samo za Galinu tortu ;(

    ReplyDelete