Kahvalti

11:55


My dough odyssey - Turkish breakfast rolls


Ones upon a time, I thought that cakes were my baking niche.The name of the blog reflects this idea as I was sure that I will be only mixing sponges and glazes and trying to come up with the best cream since custard. The truth is that sometimes we don't know where our true ardour lies, and that very often by taking a journey with one aim in mind, we often find ourselves on new and unfamiliar territory. That was the case with me and dough. It was beyond my comprehension how so many different combinations of flour, yeast and water can yield so many different results. I used to mix those three magic ingredients equally unsuccessfully every time; that never failed me and I almost gave up on making dough all together. 


Strangely enough, I don't know what was the turning point and when it happened. I recently read a lovely post written by a fellow blogger in Serbia who is celebrating a blog anniversary and as my humble space in the big bloggers world is approaching its first anniversary, I started looking into it more closely and thinking of ways to improve it and give it a bit of a visual revamp. It was then that I realised that six out of seven of my most popular posts are dough and pastry related. So yep, I think that I got the title wrong. But, it's here to stay, I am not going to change it; the point is that this inspiring journey I started to share my passion for cakes, got me into a wonderful world of  yeast, flour and water (make no mistake - I am not giving up on cakes either).

These Turkish bread rolls with potato and feta cheese are my newest find.


Kahvalti

Makes 12 rolls
350g strong bread flour
1 tsp instant yeast
240ml milk, heated to the boiling point then cooled to room temperature
1 tsp salt
1 medium potato, cooked and mashed
100g feta cheese
1 egg white for egg-wash

Make a well in the flour, sprinkle some yeast and pour milk over it. Cover the well with flour and leave to rest for about an hour. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese, knead until you get a well combined dough, which should be sticky. Allow to rest for 30 minutes then roll it into the crumbled cheese, place it in a bowl and leave to rise for 2 hours. Take it out onto a floured surface, shape into a sausage and cut into 12  pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a tight ball, cover with a towel and leave to rest for another hour.

Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7, eggwash with beaten egg white mixed with a spoon of water and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if you wish. Bake for 20 minutes and leave to cool on a wire rack.



Recipe by Jane Mason

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. these look lovely. I have to admit baking breads is one of my faovurite things in the world to do too. Nothing quite gives a sense of satisfaction like the wonderful scent of a loaf of bread straight from the oven. Thanks for sharing these they look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting there myself. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Drago mi je da se nisi zadrzala samo na recepticima za tortu, ostali bi uskraceni za sve ove divote od testa.:))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meni, ja bih ostala uskracena za dosta toga;)))))

      Delete
  3. Savršeno izgledaju, obavezno isprobavam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These buns look gorgeous! I'm also intrigued about those almond stuffed olives at the moment as well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Get some stoned olives and stuff them with salted ( haven't tried the plain ones) almond just before serving to prevent them to go soggy; works excellent with cheese;)

      Delete