Serbian "Plazma" Biscuits

12:06


I posted "The Roll" a few days ago which proved to be very popular. This one is based on "Plazma" biscuits, one of the most popular and oldest Serbian national brands.  Now, as I said, it could be replaced with any other dry biscuit of your liking, but I promised to give a recipe for a home made version which I found here and which was developed by an expert for micro gastronomy.


 Although I am going to write the full recipe, I omitted dried whey for two reasons: I didn't have any and if I wanted to buy it only huge packages for body builders were available and the luck of it does not affect the taste any way. It would just make them tougher and crispier. It's up to you. If you have any whey handy, give it a go and let me know how they turned out.


When I tried them straight from the oven, the first impression was - very nice, but maybe a bit more sugar should of been added.  After eating half of a dozen, I changed my mind. The after-taste makes them perfect as they are.


The last piece of advice is about baking them. The original recipe calls for 250 C/480 F/gas mark 9 after you bake them on 160 C/320 F/ gas 3 for 3 minutes. It did not work for me, maybe because I took out the whey, maybe because of my oven settings. Just be careful and start with a small batch to test your oven.



Serbian "Plazma" Biscuits

Preheat the oven to 160 C/320 F/ gas mark 3

35 g sugar
10 ml milk
25 g milk powder
10 g dry whey
120 g butter
350 g plain flour
3 tsp vanilla sugar
1/2 tbsp soda bicarbonate
50 ml water

Step 1 - Dissolve 15 g of sugar and cook until it starts to caramelise (reaches an amber colour), add 10 ml of milk and mix to combine. Set aside. Heat 50 ml of water and add the butter until it melts, let it cool down to a warm temperature (few minutes only).
Step 2 - Combine the dry ingredients -350,g flour, 20 gr sugar, 25 g milk powder, 10 gr dry whey, vanilla sugar, 1/2 tbsp soda bicarbonate and add the caramel and melted butter. Mix well until smooth and slightly sticky.
Step 3- Roll the dough, it should be 2 mm to 3 mm thick and cut out the shapes of your choice. The original biscuit shape is about 6 cm long  with round edges.
Step 4 - Place the biscuits on lined baking tray and bake for 3 to 5 minutes (see note above), then turn the heat up and bake for further 15 minutes or until they are baked and golden in colour.
Store in an airtight container.


You Might Also Like

33 comments

  1. Bas zanimljivo... Da li ima ukus nase plazme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ukus je skoro identican, tekstura je kod mene bila drugacija jer nisam dodala sasusenu surtku koja bi trebalo da im da cvrstinu. Volela bih da jos neko proba i to sa surutkom u prahu da uporedimo. Ovde mogu da kupim neku bodibildersku verziju u pakovanju od najmanje 1 kg, a treba mi 10 g.

      Delete
    2. Body builderska verzija je proizvod od surutke. Nije surutka.

      Delete
    3. Nisam ni tvrdila da jeste, samo da je to jedina surutka u prahu koju sam mogla da nadjem. Zao mi je sto se nismo razumeli

      Delete
  2. Mnogo su medeni, bili bi odlicni cajni kolacici, onako za grickanje i uzivanje uz topao caj i neki romanticni film na dvd-ju.:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probala sam sa surutkom u prahu i , da , jesu hrskavi. Meni je jedino na iskustvu sa malim merama manjkalo pa sam imala grudvica ali je ukus... plazma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milana bas mi je drago da ste isprobali recept i da smo potvrdile ulogu suve surutke. Sa njom ili bez nje imamo domacu plazmu i meni je to super...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Odlično Jelena! Još kako kako pričaju da je GMO, eto rešenja. Hvala, isprobaću brzo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pravila, odlicno je ispalo. pronasla sam i surutku. Jedina primedba je da secer koji se dodaje bude u prahu osim onoga sto ide u karamel. Takodje je potrebno koristiti ostro brasno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ovo mi se bas svidja kako zajedno radimo na receptu, uskoro cemo postati ozbiljna konkurencija Bambiju. x

      Delete
  7. A da li je probao neko da napravi duplu meru? Pretpostavljam da ispadne isto...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jelena, do you have the conversion to cups? if my math is not that rustic 10 ml of milk = 3/20 of a cup, I don't have that a measuring cup with that quantity.... thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Galadriel, I know how confusing using different measurements could be. Here are the links that I find useful http://www.thewi.org.uk/what-we-do/recipes/conversion-chart
      http://cafefernando.com/conversion-tables/
      It would be safe to use a table spoon of milk (10 ml)I would say, make sure is not a very big one

      Delete
  9. Another question would be, how many plazma biscuits come out from this recipe? And what does the mark 3/9 means?? Hvala vam! (I don't speak Serbian, but have some friends that do, that's how I came to hear about the plazma and want to try them),

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up placing them all on one large baking sheet, about 30 of them, if I can remember correctly, but it will depend on the thickness of the dough of course. Try not no roll the dough too thin. When I am talking about marks, I am talking about gas marks that which refer to the oven temperature. Good luck, let me know how they turn out !

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the reply and links! I will surely share how they turn out ;)

      I made a Cesnica for Christmas and it was wonderful, so I'm looking forward trying more recipes

      Delete
    3. You are very welcome, please come back to me should you have more questions. I will be more then happy to help

      Delete
    4. I will try to make these tomorrow (also going to try to make baklava)

      Here's the picture of the Cesnica I made (my very first try, so it's not perfect)

      https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p206x206/1525077_10152140386589804_599566570_n.jpg

      Delete
    5. Your Cesnica looks great if you ask me. There are some many regional recipes to make it and ways to shape it - there is no right or wrong way to do it. Well done and it would be great to keep me posted!

      Delete
    6. I meant to say so many, not some many! That is what happens when you do things in hurry !

      Delete
    7. hehehehehe :) It's all good, we're humans and we err

      Thank you for the compliment on the cesnica :) I really liked it and we have decided to add it to our Christmas tradition!

      Važi!! I'll keep you posted and share pictures! Vidimo se kasnije.

      Delete
    8. Hi Jelena, making the cookies today... was delayed because my husband did not get me the ingredients, so I'll go ahead and make it without whey... I have on quick question... the milk that you add to the dissolved/caramelized sugar should be regular milk or evaporated?

      Delete
    9. Just milk, 10 ml equal 2 teaspoons, but then you need milk powder to combine with the dry ingredients. Fingers crossed !



      Delete
    10. They are in the oven... I think I did something wrong (the caramel almost harden as soon as it touched the dry ingredients... had to toss the first batch, but the second seemed it went well...) will take a picture when I'm done and will let you know the taste ;)

      Delete
    11. They are out... I don't think I did my best, but the texture is good, and my 4 yr old just stole two of the cookies and ate them... so I guess it passed the test ^_^

      Any way I can send you the picture?

      Delete
    12. Good news and update, my husband loved them ♥ ^_^

      Delete
    13. 'Well done! I am so pleased for you; that particular caramel could be tricky to do, if you are not careful it goes wrong in a second because you are handling a tiny quantity! You can send me the pictures via email lelaj18@gmail.com Thanks for keeping me posted.

      Delete
  10. :)
    thank you my husband said he can't have enough of them :)

    Sent you an e-mail with the picture! Hvala Vam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meni nikako ne ide ovaj karamel :( kako da se rastopi u ovoliko malo mleka? Da li mozda ima veze sa temperaturom ringle?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evo da odovorim sebi :D doda se jos 2 kasike mleka i sve bude ok :) Ja sam na kraju stavila dosta manje brasna, tj 270 grama. Super je ispalo hrskavo i mirise kao plazma :) Hvala za recept!

    ReplyDelete