Festive buns

12:21


I like to keep up with the latest trends in baking, with all the innovative creations, new tastes and ingredient combinations, but for me, nothing can beat a freshly baked batch of traditional bread or buns. 


 So, every so often I go back to the my first and I dare to say still my favourite baking literature "The Big Book of Baking". 


I was tempted to make as many different shapes as I could remember, but decided against it. So instead I made these little cuties, and couple of cross cut buns and S shapes.


  From start to finish it takes more or less 90 minutes but "We are worth it".


Festive buns



Makes 14 to 16

500 gr plain flour
30 g fresh yeast
250 ml warm milk
pinch of sugar
1 teaspoon salt
egg yolk
sesame or poppy seeds to sprinkle (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200 C, lightly oil, or line with baking paper 2 trays
Sift the flour, make a well in the middle pour the milk and sprinkle the yeast and sugar, mix and cover with a bit of flour. Leave it for the yeast to activate.
Beat the dough until it bubbles and let it rise for 30 minutes. Take it out on a  floured surface and roll the dough around 20 cm by 30 cm in size. Cut the 2 cm strips, 20 cm long and braid the dough following this simple instructions:

Place the buns in the prepared trays and let rise for 20 minutes. Egg wash and sprinkle with seeds before they go to the oven.
Spray the oven with hot water and close quickly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.








You Might Also Like

9 comments