Poppy seeds gugelhupf

16:49


 I was born and spent my early childhood at the crossroad where the West and the East have been meeting for centuries. A place where life revolves around the Danube River, and was one part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and under the influence of the German, Slovak, Hungarian, Romanian and a few other ethnic groups.
I moved around the country few times, but spent a good part of my life in the rural South, which was ruled by the Turkish Ottoman Empire for nearly five centuries and whose everyday life is, in certain aspects determined by the Empire's supremacy to the present day; and then, I travelled a lot. Mediterranean countries being my choice of preference. So, I am blessed that way to have had a chance to experience cultural diversity from the early age.  What stayed with me the most though, was the scent of food, different for every region in my imaginary chart and  some of them stayed close to heart (and nose), like the fragrance of poppy seed cake coming from the oven.
Every now and then, I get in touch with my roots by baking this Poppy Seed and Almond Gugelhupf for which the recipe originally came from  "Wiener Backbuch"  and I found it here.


 180 gr room temperature,unsalted butter
180 gr sugar
6 eggs
180  gr grinded poppy seed (if you can to buy grinded, spice/coffee mill should do the job)
180 gr ground almond

Glaze:
100 gr dark chocolate
100 ml double cream


Preheat the oven to 160 C/320 F/ gas mark 3. Oil the bunt tin lightly and sprinkle with fine bread crumbs.

Beat the butter with 140 gr of sugar, until pale and fluffy, then add the egg yolks, one at the time. Slowly mix the poppy seeds and almond in.
In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with the rest of the sugar (40 gr).
Combine the mixtures carefully, pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 60 minutes.
Take it out from the oven, leave to rest for a few minutes, unmould and set on a cooling rack until cold.
For the glaze, bring the cream to boil, then remove from the heat, add pieces of chocolate in batches, mixing constantly until completely melted. Pour over the cake and leave to set.


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hvala, jedna od mojih najomiljenijih poslstica

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is that? it sure looks delicious.. oh yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite cakes ever. Please try it and let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete