Cherries

20:06


For years I didn't visit my Serbian house during June, and this is what I have been missing. Although we had to cut one dry branch, the old girl still gave us plenty of sweet, juicy fruit. Enough for a proper feast with neighbours and for a few bake-offs, of course.




I was keen to make some jam, and when I mentioned it to my mum, she categorically refused to use that variety. Who I am to deny and oppose 40 years of experience in conserving and preserving? She authoritatively took a small yellow-paged recipe book published before I was even born. "It's your first doodling attempt all over it, you should have it,"-she said and opened the page with the instruction on how to make cherry jam. I knew that I would have to go to the market, and a couple of hours later she was nodding her approval of my purchase. We were good to go.
First, pitting the fruit .. her way..


Then, we were ready to proceed with the recipe.

600 g of sugar for one kilo of cherries
Pour one glass of water over sugar in a big pot, let it dissolve and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the fruit. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on what sort of consistency you prefer.


Don't forget to remove the foam from time to time.

When ready, pour hot into warm sterilised jars, and place into a slightly heated oven to form the crust, then close and store.

You Might Also Like

2 comments