Cloister (Monastery) Crescents

17:29




Blame it on my heritage, but whenever I bake something that originates form  Vienna, or the old Austro-Hungarian Empire in general, I have a feeling that I am making something special, no matter how simple the recipe is; like these soft, melt-in-your-mouth crescents for which  the recipe was adapted from "Patisserie of Vienna", a book I found covered in dust in a local charity shop.


Makes 10

115 gr butter, softened
115 gr plain flour
3 tbsp grated plain chocolate
115 gr ground hazelnut 
3 tbsp vanilla sugar 
1 egg yolk




Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 , gas mark 4
Beat the butter, flour, chocolate, nuts, vanilla sugar and egg yolk together to make a firm dough. Wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Shape the dough into small crescents  and arrange them on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes, don't allow them to brown.  Leave them to cool and coat with melted chocolate (100 g of chocolate with 2 table spoons of double cream). sprinkle with chopped nuts. I used hazelnuts and pistachios.


  

You Might Also Like

0 comments