French Waffles (Gaufres Maison)

20:00

We haven't had waffles for breakfast in ages. But as much as I wanted them back as our Sunday special, I wanted to try a different recipe. Then I remembered this French recipe that I saw in a book that I had nicely tucked in a box for some time now, the Laduree, Scriptum edition.The book looked so luxurious and fragile, that I delayed exploring it properly, since my kitchen is always a mess. 





  I promised myself to be careful and turned the page to see what the famous pastry chef Philipe Andrieu has to say about waffles. 
If I didn't know better, I would of thought that they had their recipes mixed up. It was a choux pastry recipe :

125 ml whole milk
75 g cake flour (I used plain)
20 g sugar
pinch of salt
30 g butter
3 eggs

and the regular choux pastry making procedure:

Bring the milk, sugar, salt and butter to boil, remove from heat and  mix the flour until incorporated, then return to heat and stir for one minute or so. Allow to cool and add eggs, one at the time, mix until the batter is smooth.

If by this point you change your mind and decide to make profiteroles, go for it by all means; I wanted waffles. And to turn this pastry into a waffle batter, all you need is to stir in 50 ml of creme fraiche (or sour cream) and a drop of orange flower water. I preferred a bit of vanilla essence. The batter should then rest for one hour at room temperature.



  

 The old waffle iron was preheated and lightly oiled. I forgot to make a note about how many batches I made, but it didn't take more than 4 minutes to cook each batch.

 Obviously that was one very decadent breakfast and we ate them straight away with jam, chocolate and cream. I sneaked out one plate to take a quick photo.





   
And the verdict: they were definitely worth the effort, but not on an ordinary Sunday morning. They just take too long to make.





You Might Also Like

0 comments