Cherry delicia

20:04

Really, I shouldn't be relying on Google translator, but since its Italian is much better then mine, I have no option but to do so if I am to tackle anything that Italian food bloggers have to offer. And that is a lot. So I paired the Google translator with my common sense and ended up with these cherry filled biscuits for which the original recipe came from here They are delicious to eat, but I still have to work out how to solve few small issues I came across while making them.



For the pastry:
500 g 00 flour
200 g lard
200 g sugar
100 g water
50 g honey
pinch of salt
1 lemon peel

In a food processor I mix the fat with sugar, add honey, salt and lemon peel and then water and flour in turns, until fully combined. Refrigerate for 2 hours at least, although it is always better to leave over night.

For the filling:

300 g of good quality cherry jam
200 g of sponge cake crumbs
3 tablespoons of cream ( not sure what sort of cream)
1 tablespoon of cocoa
2 tablespoons of rum (I omitted it)
2 tablespoons of cherry juice or liqueur


Glaze (optional)
egg white
icing sugar, pinch of cocoa



 Warm the jam in a saucepan with a drop of water and combine the the rest of the ingredients. I decided to put a teaspoon of cocoa powder and to omit the rum. If the filling is too runny, like it was when I made it, add more plain ground biscuits, or a bit of semolina to absorb the extra liquid. I put a tablespoon of sour cream (instead of 3), and the filling was still a bit runny, but I fixed it with spoon of semolina.
Take the dough out from the refrigerator and roll two rectangles 20 cm x 30 cm about  4 mm  high and arrange the filling on both of them, in the middle, lengthwise. Cover from one side, then another, overlapping the first, and turn up side down. Store them in a freezer for at least 15 minutes, to make it easer to cut. Slice 5 mm pieces  and put on baking tray with parchment paper.

 Bake on 180 C until they start to harden and reach nice brown colour.
Now, I am not sure whether they are meant to lose shape or not. Whatever I tried, cutting wider pieces, baking from frozen did not work. They were out of shape, except for the few I photographed.  They still taste delicious every time. No mistake there.

 Before they are done, you could mix the glaze, brush the cookies and return to the oven. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments